Thursday, December 22, 2005

Christmas

Christmas is here and I believe it is the time of year in which we all remember the blessings and gifts the good lord has given us. Unfortunately, I am an atheist (Although I beginning to agree with Sam Harris who says that we should not even need a term for a “person who does not believe in god”. After all, we don’t have names for those who don’t believe in astrology, the Easter bunny, or the tooth fairy, do we?). So, in lieu of a “giving thanks” article I thought I would do something truly American and complain about the negative aspects of the many positive things that have happened recently in my life. As you all know, I recently sold out to the man after spending what seemed like an eternity staring at the shadows on the cave wall in graduate school and am now out in the sunlight, breaking my back for the almighty corporate dollar.

As part of this recent “sell out” I have had to agree to a bit of traveling. Many would see this as an exciting. Here I am, a dashing young fellow with the no roots in the ground galavalanting across the globe on trips paid for by the company. In part, this is true. I am excited about the next two months which will see me in the U.K., most likely Japan, San Diego, Long Beach, Munich, and possibly elsewhere. Superficially it is interesting. I am sure all of those places are exciting (Check that, I KNOW San Diego is exciting) but business trips are MUCH different than vacation. I will be spending most, if not all, of my time in offices with managers who want nothing more than to tell me all about themselves, laboratories with scientists whose social skills often resemble an odd mélange of autism and Tourettes syndrome, or conference rooms surrounded by people who just MUST offer their opinion no matter how obvious or irrelevant their point. When I do have a spare moment, the locals will undoubtedly fill it with dinners (These are fun for married guys, people who don’t actually go out on the weekends and view business trips as vacations from the wife and kids.) tours, or nights at Karaoke bars; basically those tourist activities I have come to know and hate. I know, I know, it won’t ALL be bad. I am sure some of those nights will be fun, and the ability to experience all of those cultures on somebody else’s dime is definitely nice but, via my friends, I know business travel isn’t entirely what it’s cracked up to be.

Having said that, I fully realize how lucky I am. I have a wonderful, caring, intelligent, and most importantly, interesting family for whom I am thankful everyday. I have friends who I would be proud to call brothers, who support me in every insane endeavor, and with whom I always have the time of my life. I have also had the opportunity to meet some amazing women who come and go, but always leave me with interesting stories to tell. I am thankful I have and had the people in my life to share those moments which wouldn’t have happened, or been as sweet, without them. Tonight my light shines and, as this doesn’t happen everyday, I am going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Merry Christmas everyone, I hope your light is shining out there too.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

Merry Christmas to you too, albeit belatedly.

I have to admit though that I find it interesting that you spent more words extolling about the woes of business travel compared to the few sentences on your friends and family.

At any rate, I hope in the end that you enjoy your business trips nonetheless, although I do agree that often, they are more work than fun.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous museum guide said...

Enjoy reading your articles here.

12:57 AM  
Anonymous bike rack said...

Thank you for the nice article.

12:58 AM  
Blogger nicktur said...

Hi there,
Thank you so much for the post you do and also I like your post, Are you looking to Gold Mining in the whole USA? We are providing assets gold , gold assets , forex market, trading forex ,foreign exchange market, forex exchange, forex investing , forex stock ,i forex, be forex trading, investing in foreign exchange, international forex trading, trading forex, forex exchange ,forex stock, gold minig stocks, day to day trading stocks, getting started in day trading, getting into day trading, Legal gold mining, gold coins, gold bullion, gold coins for sale, gold sovereign, buy gold coins, gold coin prices, sovereign coin, buy gold bullion, gold bullion for sale, gold coins near me, sell gold coins, buy gold coins near me, pure gold coins, solid gold coins for sale, purchase gold bullion with the well price and our services are very fast. Click here for MORE DETAILS......
CONTACT US
Email Us : info@investmentsneed.com

2:24 AM  
Blogger Krystal Joseph said...

Hi there,
Thank you so much for the post you do and also I like your post, Are you looking to Foreign Exchange Market in the whole USA? We are providing assets gold , gold assets , forex market, trading forex ,foreign exchange market, forex exchange, forex investing , forex stock ,i forex, be forex trading, investing in foreign exchange, international forex trading, trading forex, forex exchange ,forex stock, gold minig stocks, day to day trading stocks, getting started in day trading, getting into day trading, Legal gold mining, gold coins, gold bullion, gold coins for sale, gold sovereign, buy gold coins, gold coin prices, sovereign coin, buy gold bullion, gold bullion for sale, gold coins near me, sell gold coins, buy gold coins near me, pure gold coins, solid gold coins for sale, purchase gold bullion with the well price and our services are very fast. Click here for MORE DETAILS......
CONTACT US
Email Us : info@investmentsneed.com

3:52 AM  
Blogger nicktur said...

Hi there,
Thank you so much for the post you do and also I like your post, Are you looking to Forex Trading in the whole USA? We are providing assets gold , gold assets , forex market, trading forex ,foreign exchange market, forex exchange, forex investing , forex stock ,i forex, be forex trading, investing in foreign exchange, international forex trading, trading forex, forex exchange ,forex stock, gold minig stocks, day to day trading stocks, getting started in day trading, getting into day trading, Legal gold mining, gold coins, gold bullion, gold coins for sale, gold sovereign, buy gold coins, gold coin prices, sovereign coin, buy gold bullion, gold bullion for sale, gold coins near me, sell gold coins, buy gold coins near me, pure gold coins, solid gold coins for sale, purchase gold bullion with the well price and our services are very fast. Click here for MORE DETAILS......
CONTACT US
Email Us : info@investmentsneed.com

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory The Tangled Bank